Saturday, January 25, 2014

Play The Game



 
Most people I know will take every opportunity to go after something they want or need when they know they can get it. They will do it with no hesitation, reservation or fear. They want it. They need it. They are going to get it.

Now remove the "perfect situation" glasses from your face and reality will show you that the above is a rarity. It is more common for people to want or need something but recognize that a possibility of not getting it exists. Unfortunately, it is also common that this reality has discourage people from even "playing the game". Why try? Would the disappointment of failing hurt more than wondering what would have happened if you tried? What would people think about me if they heard about my failure? Those are real thoughts. Those are crippling thoughts. Dreams are not fulfilled because of those thoughts. Potential remains as potential and never matures to experience because of those thoughts. Innovation remains as a good idea instead of enhancing a process or technology.

Taking a lesson from the little kids, I notice that they operate without fear. I use to believe that they do not understand the consequences of their actions but I quickly change my opinion. Have you ever seen a kid fall, cry, get back up and do it again? They probably thought only of success prior to them falling. After falling, they now have a clear picture of the consequences of failure but still hold on to the idea of what success would feel like. They get back up and do it again.

I remember applying for a job that I did not meet the qualifications for. I knew I didn't meet them but I wanted the job. I was completely shocked that they even called me for an interview. Every qualification question they asked me was met with a "I have never done that before but I am a fast learner." After leaving the interview, I (figuratively) picked myself off the floor and classified this experience as a practice round. I drove back to my office thinking about how I could learn from the interview and how this shook off the cobwebs. I was already looking toward the next interviews from other companies that might come my way. To my surprise, I received an offer letter the same day. What if I didn't "play the game" because I was afraid of "striking out"

God will give us opportunities that may seem too big for us. Take them. Do it regardless of your feelings of success or failure. Possibilities of failure does not ensure failure. Your obedience to God's direction and words would lead you to success because God defines what success is.

No comments: