Thursday, January 30, 2014

Keeping It Real



"To be or not to be: That is the question!" At times I struggle to answer the question about how I feel to about starting Gospel Outreach Community Church. I know what the expectations are and I know what they are not. 

Most people expect me to have all of the answers right now. I should have the flawless marketing approach, dynamic worship service structure and the know-how to meet EVERY needs of the community that I am servicing. I come with a "trial and error" marketing approach, "what was I thinking" worship service structure and the "do what I can with what I got" campaign to meet the needs of the community.

Most people expect me to stand tall with my back straight and look the challenges in their eyes like this is a cake walk because I know what the scriptures tell me. I know that I can do all things through the strength of Christ. I know that nothing that is devised to destroy me will prosper. In knowing that, I still come with the jitter bugs of nervousness and late nights of behind the scene operations. 

Knowing the expectations of people, I willingly choose not to wear the mask. This journey is not a "to be or not to be" journey. I would say that it fits the "to be AND to be" model. I am nervous and I know that God will comfort me. I will pray hard and work hard. I will wait on The Lord and I will move out on faith. I will make wrong decisions and I will make right ones. I will know the right words to say and I will not know what to say at all.

The "to be AND to be" model does not mean that we are weak. It does not mean that we have wavering faith. It means that we are real.

Do you think it damages a Christians credibility when they take off their mask?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeremiah. my answer to your question is no. i once had a conversation with a non believer who asked why pastors were always dramatic people who used to be drug dealers,alcoholics,gang members, etc. i asked him if he thought it would be easier to approach a pastor who has actually struggled in life and was delivered by the grace of God or one who has always lived on the straight and narrow path (please know i take nothing away from the latter). Long story short i believe being refreshingly transparent is welcomed by most and displays the full equipping work God has done inyou to move forward in the ministry He designed you for.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your response, Lisa! Our transparency is a valuable tool to use for witnessing and ministering.