Friday, February 14, 2014

Mistakes That Count



As I defined the direction to take with the "Journey With Me" blog, it was easy to decide to share the positive aspect of this journey of starting Gospel Outreach Community Church. However, I quickly realized that you will not be journeying with me. You'll be watching the highlight reel. To journey with me, I must not erase the mistakes out of pride or public opinion. I need to share the whole journey. As you guessed, deciding to share this side of the coin took a little longer.

The acceptance of sharing my mistakes took me down the following path:
  • Mistakes Could Make You Better: We all have a choice to allow our mistakes to tear us down or build us up. We could become depressed or more determined.
  • Mistakes Convert To Lessons Learned: We must learn from our mistakes to minimize the possibility of making them again.
  • Mistakes Help Others: I was taught that experience is the best teacher. I now know that the experience of others are better teachers. Why should you fall in the same pit that I fell in? Let me tell you that there is a pit so that you could walk around.
  • Mistakes Cannot Be Eliminated: We can minimize mistakes but we cannot eliminate them. Creating the appearance of being perfect can increase the hurt felt by us and those who love us when something exposes that we are not.
Find the positives in your mistake. If/when you make them, make it count. It will make you better, help you to make better choices, help others and manage the expectations of having to be perfect.


What other ways can we make mistakes count?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jeremiah,
Being a fellow blogger for the Lord I have often wrestled with the content of my blog. Not because I'd ever compromise the word God has for me to share, but because it "appears" that I'm am amateur when it comes to exposure and thus, limiting my ability to share the gospel. That being said, it made me step back and look at the types of blogs I ultimately started following. Each of them had a niche (healthy eating, exercise, mommy blogs, etc) but all had different formats. The common denominator was relatability and the fact that these people were interesting, but didnt appear perfect.

I think its incredible you had the faith to step out and be obedient in the new direction God is taking you. As I previously shared with you, I also think its important to be transparent. Understandably, in your position with planting a new church you want to be cautious what you share, but I do think people will appreciate your honesty, to include struggles & triumphs along the way! Great post.